Friday, March 27, 2009

Make new friends . . .


I have had the most incredible couple of weeks (again). More surgeries . . . moving . . . science fair for my son . . . blah, blah, blah. A girl needs to find new sources of support. My poor fiance' has been working tirelessly to not only take care of my every need (food/chores/entertainment), but also has the unfortunate job of listening to me complain. Not that it's a new sport, but for a girl with a lot of time on her hands, it's practically a full time job for the poor person who is on the other side, right?

Fortunately, my fiance is not my only source of support for my tireless and unintentional neediness. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Enter: Justin "Jay" Devoto. I met Justin when he moved up here (Washington) from San Jose, California and was looking for someone who could keep his drapery business, Sunshine Associates, organized. To be perfectly honest, I had never been friends with someone with such an age difference with me as Justin. I love my grandmother, Phyllis, but other than that, there has been no one similar in age that I have formed a bond with. I honestly think that of you don't grow up around the very young, or the elderly (Justin is 95 years old as of February) you don't honestly appreciate and/or form a bond with either. Am I wrong? Most likely - I am just speaking from personal experience.

Anyway, having a relationship with Justin has taught me many things. Namely . . .

- Age doesn't matter (Really)
- If you are open to it, learning from an elder (even as an adult) is invaluable
- People who have been around longer than you tend to have more (and more interesting) stories - plus, you get all the fun details that normally may be edited out of a typical story
- Friends come in all ages, shapes, colors, and sizes - I can honestly say that Justin has become one of my closest friends. How lucky am I?
- It's never too late to make a new friend. NEVER too late

Having Justin as my friend is one of the best things to ever happen to me. Had I not been open to it, I would have never had the opportunity to meet such an incredible friend. Whenever you are feeling lonely, or you second guess an opportunity to meet and relate to someone new, please keep Justin in mind. You never know when, where, or how a person may affect your life. You just have to be open to the experience.

Be open to the experience


Think about it,

Shelly







No comments:

Post a Comment