Thursday, April 16, 2009

Just when my life couldn't be any busier . . .




I decided to adopt a couple of bunnies! I know - crazy, right? Now, before you judge me and think I did it after too many Peeps on Easter, you could not be more wrong. We actually adopted these little fur balls in February.

This being my first time at the (bunny)'rodeo' ever, I thought, "Hey, I have another surgery coming up. I will be laid up, want something to snuggle with on the couch, and my Great Dane will crush me. Let's get bunnies!"

After my 'brilliant' idea was begrudgingly accepted by my fiance' Rick, and enthusiastically seconded by my son, Nate, we set out to a local bunny rescue. We had our hearts set on getting one cute little Mini-Rex.

When we got there, however, our plans quickly changed. We were first introduced to a poor white Californian that was dropped and now suffers slight brain damage. Her little head moves back and forth from side to side (think Stevie Wonder) and I was instantly hooked. I had to save that little bunny!

Nate found a fuzzy chinchilla colored Lop who (at the time) loved to be held and snuggled with. She had been bred over and over and apparently abused by her handlers. They were perfect. Slightly brain damaged bunny? Check. A bunny that loved to be smothered by a nine year old? Check. Charlotte and Gypsy were perfect bunnies for my plan. . . until we brought them home, that is.

What happened the minute we got home? Those two silly rabbits hated to be picked up! Who was going to snuggle with me after surgery? Who was going to provide hours and hours of bunny fun for Nate? Not those two! We had been duped.

What I failed to realize before adopting our new girls, was that most rabbits dislike being picked up. They are prey animals and feel like they are being attacked. Who knew?

In spite of my initial disappointment, I have learned to love these two, slightly smelly, oversized rats. I really do. Even though they hate being picked up (unless occasionally giving in by being coaxed with a banana) They have very unique personalities, they are very stubborn, very independent, a ton of work, and incredibly challenging to get to know. (Sounds a little like me - hmm . . . )More than that though, they have taught me patience, respect for the 'personal space' of a different sort of being, and to approach new experiences with an open mind.

If you go into a new situation, a new job, a new relationship, etc. with a very specific expectation of the experience, you will probably be disappointed. If you start with an open mind and let things unfold as they may, you might end up pleasantly surprised. You might even learn something new about yourself!

And who doesn't need to do that every once in awhile?

Have you learned something new about yourself lately? Have you surprised yourself by being open to a new experience?

Happy belated Easter,

Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment